The actual beginning of our church dates back to 1928, when a small advertisement appeared in the Windsor Star stating that a group of Regular Baptists would be holding weekly Sunday services in the I.O.O.F Hall at the corner of Wyandotte and Ouellette. Little did the small group of Baptists realize on that memorable Sunday, October 7th, 1928, that they would form the nucleus of a church which eventually would become Campbell Avenue Baptist Church. Within a few short weeks, a charter was drawn and the church was organized with Dr. W.A. Gunton as Pastor. The church continued for about a year with prayer meetings and Bible study in homes twice weekly and public worship in the Hall Sundays. Rev. William Fraser, who had been associated with Dr. T.T. Shields, became the second Pastor in 1929. Within a short time and with much hard work, a church building and parsonage were purchased at the corner of Curry and Martin Streets. The church was then known as Ambassador Baptist. The Fraser’s ministered until 1935 when they moved to Texas. Rev. F.W. Dyson was called from Quebec in September of 1935. A basement church and two wooden buildings were offered for rent on Campbell Avenue. The offer was accepted and the church became known as Campbell Avenue Baptist Church in 1939. After a few years, the roof was raised and an upper auditorium built. Dr. Dyson resigned in 1944. Rev. J. Watt was contacted to see if he would come to be minister. Rev. Watt accepted the challenge of the Windsor call, believing it was the Lord’s will to come to this city. He and his wife arrived in the summer of 1944. Within a short time church pews and baptistery were installed and church debts paid.
The church grew steadily under Pastor Watt’s ministry. During this time, Rev. Don Holliday (1961-64) ministered alongside Pastor Watt as the associate pastor and first youth director. In total, Pastor Watt’s pastorate spanned twenty-one years. He resigned in 1965 to become General Secretary of our Fellowship. His faithful ministry will always be remembered at our church. Mr. John Brown ministered as interim Pastor prior to the arrival of Rev. James Rendle, who served the church from June 15, 1967 until the end of January 1977. In July 1977, Rev. David Mitchell was called as Pastor and served until July 1979. Dr. David Russell began his ministry on December 30, 1979 and continued until June of 1985. It was during this time that Rev. Gordon Wright was called to serve as Assistant Pastor (1981-85). Mr. Donald Fama joined the church staff in September of 1980, as the Director of Education and Special Ministries and he officially directed the counselling ministry of Campbell through Cornerstone Ministries Inc. (1982-89)
Through the years a number of young men have been given full-time, summer ministry opportunities. Many of them are continuing in full-time service in other churches. Following the godly ministry of Rev. St. Clair Robinson as interim Pastor, Rev. Robert C. Lohnes accepted the challenge of this growing ministry (November 1985 - October 1992). During the ministry of Rev. Lohnes, the Christian Education Facilities were added and a dedication service was held in January of 1987. Rev. Martti Pajunen served as Assistant Pastor (1986-89), Rev. Stan Toombs was Assistant Pastor (1990-91), and Mr. William Emberly joined our staff on a part-time basis (1990-92) as Associate Pastor, alongside Rev. Lohnes. Also serving as Associate Pastor over the years: Rev. Aaron Rock (1996-2001) and Mr. Greg McManus (2002-03).
In 1993, the senior pastor position at Campbell Baptist became available and Rev. Donald McKay was asked to step in as the interim pastor (March 1993). He was then hired as the senior pastor in September 1993. During this time, a theological Bible Institute was started and a radio program was conceived. On May 9, 2000, Rev. Bruce Arthur accepted the challenge to become Campbell’s Youth pastor and served on a part-time basis, and called to full-time ministry in May 2001. He received his ordination in 2002 and served as Associate Pastor since then. During this time, Rev. Brandon Taylor served as Youth Pastor (2003-2012).
In 2008, Dr. McKay resigned his post as Senior Pastor and in November, the membership voted overwhelmingly in favour of the promotion of Rev. Arthur to Senior Pastor, where he continues to serve this local body faithfully. Mr. Roger Pattenaude, appointed an Elder in 2003, was designated Pastor of Member Care in 2012. Rev. Brian Moffatt served as our Pastor of Student Ministries from 2013-2017. In 2018, Josiah Wicks came from Edmonton, AB to serve as our Youth & Children’s Pastor.
The Word of God has been faithfully proclaimed at the present location on Wyandotte Street, since 1952. May the Lord continue to raise up servants of His love and grace through this church.